But I think I'd like to go. I've been inspired by The Bloggess (perhaps don't click that link for a couple of days until her top post isn't quite so gross), who ALSO needs chemicals to get through social interactions, and SHE goes to BlogHer so it CAN BE DONE. I like her idea of wearing a Confidence Wig, too. I wonder if that would work for me. Do you think if I go I should get a wig, or do you think it would just look copycatty? I think it would look copycatty. Perhaps I could do a Confidence Halloween Mask. Or, well, "confidence" still sounds copycatty, so it could be an Intestinal Fortitude Halloween Mask.
I fret like crazy over practicalities. Like, "OMG HOW WOULD I GET THERE?" and "OMG HOW WOULD I FIND THE HOTEL?" and "WOULD I HAVE TO TAKE A TAXI? I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH TO TIP!!" Other worries:
- How would I book the hotel room, and what if I want to share, how would that work? And how many people can share? And does one person have to pay and the others reimburse? Because that kind of thing gives me a huge worry wrinkle.
- When do the conference tickets usually sell out by? I'd rather get the Early Bird pricing anyway, but just in case I dither too long.
- Do the hotel rooms fill up fast so I should get one early or else I'll get stuck trying to find another hotel in New York?
- Food? Is there food? Do I have to bring my own or else get stuck paying for very expensive room service?
- I don't think I act socially anxious on my blog, because I'm NOT socially anxious when I'm sitting alone at my computer typing. So won't everyone I meet be like, "YOU'RE not Swistle! YOU BIG FAKER!"?
- I know it is ridiculous, but I get stressed about clothes. If I wear pedal pushers and a t-shirt and sandals, and none of it is anything that would make anyone say "OH SQUEE CUTE!!!" (in fact, probably the VERY pedal pushers and sandals as in the photo above), will I stand out like a sore thumb? Or will other people dress like that too?
- Do I need to have a laptop?
- People get business cards printed for these things, right? I don't know how to do that.
- How WOULD I find the hotel? (And WOULD I have to take a taxi?)