What I'VE been doing all day is thinking about that question. I think of it as living on the list of questions and comments that are never under any circumstances okay to use. It doesn't seem as if we would have to come out and say that these were Forbidden; it seems like at this point it would be understood by everyone in the entire human race that these are the things you say right before rotten produce starts flying through the air toward your face. And yet no.
So for the sake of those who are still struggling with this, claiming angrily not to be mind-readers, I think we should compose a cheat sheet: a list of all the things no one should ever, ever say. I've made a start on it:
- What did you DO all day?
- I work all day.
- Is that on your diet?
- Have you been putting on weight?
- Sure, you could stand to lose a few pounds.
- Is that what you're wearing?
- This isn't rocket science.
- I hope we can still be friends.
- I love you, I'm just not "in love" with you.
- I have a new co-worker--younger than us, but she's already had a highly successful career as a porn star! Smart, too! We talked for hours today about [insert boring work problem here] and she was so interested and had such great ideas!