- Imply that one of you wrote a blog post that pissed me off
- And that probably you do that all the time
- And that maybe all the other commenters don't like you either.
- Imply that I don't think blogs should be about controversial topics
- And that I think people shouldn't discuss things unless they agree
- And that what you wrote about _______ was way too controversial.
- Imply that we should all go around kissing up to each other all the time
- And no one should ever say anything that isn't positive
- And that we should all be icky-sweet and no one should say anything bitchy or strong.
- Imply that all conflict is bad
- And that pleasant, intellectual debate between consenting adults is also bad
- And that in a perfect world, all of us would act and think identically.
- Imply that I never give my 2 cents' worth on other people's blogs
- And that my silence means I disagree
- And I'm quietly thinking bad things about you but you'll never know because I won't say it.
- Imply that I don't want you to give your 2 cents' worth on my blog
- And that if you have in the past, you've totally hurt my feelings and pissed me off
- And that if you do it ever again I won't be your best friend anymore.
I do often comment if I disagree with something, and I want you to comment even if you're not saying, "You're totally right! I totally agree! Also, I like your shoes!" I think we can disagree and still be friendly. Good thing, too, since there are SO MANY THINGS to disagree about! Including my shoes.
There are some topics, though, that I don't want to talk about anymore, and that's generally when I choose my voluntary dose of STFU. The blog setting wouldn't be right for me anyway: I'm a person who typically leaves a comment and doesn't come back to see who commented after me, so it's not a good place for me to get involved in a heavy debate.
Also--and this is harder to describe--there are certain times when I can feel that my reaction is not good and that I shouldn't talk, that it would not be right for me to talk. Do you know what I mean? Because I've spent about 24 hours trying to think of how to put it, and that's the best I've got. It's just a feeling that tells me I should STFU.
But, silly dears, I was not talking about any of YOU. You are all sweeties, and I'm sure I agree with every word you say. Also, I like your shoes.